Alternative World Sailing Community
We are a community of travellers sailing around the world. Using art, music, performance and recycling to sustain our voyage. Our goal is to share a vision to travel differently and live in a sustainable and creative world.
It is a space for travelers to experience community living on sea, learn sailing skills and develop artistic talents as a group. The objective is to create a worldwide fleet of community boats, making ocean travel accessible to the modern nomads.
AWSC started in January 2014 as an independent and experimental project. Until now the fleets and/or vessels are still managing themselves independently, agreeing on certain guidelines. Our objective to experiment for ourselves a different and alternative way to travel and to live in a community with a nomad lifestyle.
Our vision is that this structure, mixing travel and community living, inspires more and more people to gather; sailors, travelers, visionaries, artists, idealists, etc, and to spread the idea of communally owned and sustained sailing vessels around the globe.
What it means traveling on a community boat:
- Spreading the knowledge of the ocean. Learn how to become a experienced sailor, living with a shared responsibility of the vessel and its crew’s safety.
- Experimenting the travel on sea, learn how to read the sky through the stars and the clouds, understanding the wind and swell, interact with the elements.
- Sharing your knowledge so that everyday on the boat is a learning day, where everyone offers and assists to different workshops such as language class, music basics, macrame, sailing yoga, motor maintenance, etc.
- Sharing a space where true communication, trust and mutual help is necessary as it is a limited space and reproduces the needs of a ‘micro-society’.
- Living with values of respect and harmony for the environnement, by transporting ourselves with the natural elements, self-sustaining as much as possible on the energetic plan, water and food resources and by recycling
Our shared ideas and visions
- Recycle whenever possible. Boat parts, food, clothing, and anything else we can to move away from a consumerist society
- live as a community of travellers, a world family of sailors and sea gypsies
- connect alternative land based communities around the world by moving goods and people from place to place
- provide an alternative means of travel by harnessing the wind and moving away from our dependance on fossil fuels and limited resources
- teach sailing to as many people as possible, including backpackers, travellers, schoolchildren and locals
- spread smiles through circus performance and music
- share what we know about sustainable living methods
- learn what we can about the cultures around the world, how they interact with the planet and each other
A short film produced by the Boom Festival Broadcast and recorded on the journey of the Pacific fleet from New Zealand to Vanuatu.